David H. Burns
David H. Burns is a Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer, handling personal injury and wrongful death litigation. This means that Mr. Burns has been certified by The Florida Bar’s Board of Legal Specialization and Education as an attorney possessing specialized knowledge, skill and proficiency in Civil Trial Law. Certification is contingent upon meeting extensive civil trial experience and continuing legal education requirements, as well as maintaining ethical good standing with The Florida Bar and passing a lengthy written examination in the related legal areas. Certification is the highest level of recognition by The Florida Bar concerning the competency and learning of attorneys.
Mr. Burns is also a member of the Million-Dollar Advocates Forum, which is a distinction awarded only to those attorneys who have successfully obtained a recovery of at least one million dollars ($1,000,000.00) on behalf of a client. Mr. Burns has been awarded the AV (highest) rating by the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory for professional competence and ethics, based on a poll of local lawyers and judges.
Mr. Burns attended law school at the University of Florida where he was Vice-President of the Student Body and a member of the Law Review, Student Honor Court and University Hall of Fame. He was admitted to The Florida Bar in 1982. He was also admitted to the Georgia Bar in 1983. Mr. Burns is admitted to practice in all state courts in Florida and Georgia, including the Florida Supreme Court and the Georgia Supreme Court. He is also admitted to practice in the U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Middle, and Northern Districts of Florida and the Middle District of Georgia as well as the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Atlanta and the United States Supreme Court in Washington, D.C.
Mr. Burns has practiced law in Tallahassee since 1982, concentrating primarily in the area of personal injury and wrongful death litigation, including such areas as automobile incidents, truck incidents, off-road vehicle incidents, injuries from dangerous and defective products and equipment, injuries from exposure to toxic substances, and injury resulting from professional negligence. Mr. Burns has tried numerous cases. He has also handled appeals before the state appellate courts, including the Florida Supreme Court. Mr. Burns is also certified as a Circuit Civil Mediator by the Florida Supreme Court.
Mr. Burns has taught several continuing legal education (CLE) seminars (and has been a contributing author to several CLE manuals) dealing with the following subjects: Trying the Automobile Injury Case in Florida, Personal Injury Litigation Practice in Florida, Trial Advocacy in Florida and Insurance Litigation.
Mr. Burns is a member of the American Bar Association and is a member of its Section on Torts and Insurance Practice, Automobile Liability Committee and Trial Techniques Committee. He is also a member of the Trial Lawyers Section of the Florida Bar as well as a member of the Florida Justice Association and the American Association for Justice.
|David H. Burns|
Areas of Practice
- Litigation & Appeals
- Personal Injury — Defense
- Personal Injury — Plaintiff
- Wrongful Death — Defense
- Wrongful Death — Plaintiff
- Professional Malpractice Law
- Toxic Torts
- Florida, 1982
- Georgia, 1983
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1983
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of Florida College of Law, Gainesville, Florida
- J.D. – 1982
- West Georgia College, Carrollton, Georgia
- B.B.A., Bachelor of Business Administration – 1970
- University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California
- M.S.S.M., Master of Science in Systems Management – 1979
- Trial Advocacy in Florida National Business Institute, 1991
- Trying the Automobile Injury Case In Florida National Business Institute, 1991
- Parrish v. Superior Ins. Co., 583 So.2d 673 (Fla.App. 1 Dist. 1991)
- Cox Cable Corp. v. Gulf Power Co., 582 So.2d 622 (Fla. 1991)
- Pensacola Executive House Condominium Ass’n, Inc. v. Baskerville-Donovan Engineers, Inc., 566 So.2d 850 (Fla.App. 1 Dist. 1990)
- Baskerville-Donovan Engineers, Incorporated
- Chubb Group of Insurance Companies
- CNA Insurance Companies
- The Standard Plan, Incorporated
Honors and Awards
- Elected to University of Florida Hall of Fame, 1981
- University of Florida Law Review, Florida Blue Key
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tallahassee Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member, Torts and Insurance Practice Section
- American Bar Association, Member, Automobile Liability Committee
- Florida Bar Association, Member, Trial Lawyers’ Section
- Phi Alpha Delta